My all time favourite nutrition and beauty secrets are the simple, back to basics tips that we can do easily and consistently, especially when you consider that it’s the things we do consistently that create our body, not what we do every once in a while!
Occasional consumption of chips (organic oven chips at Villa 23 mind you) does not a heavy weight make (at least I’m hoping not!), conversely, once monthly salad eating will not make one’s body Elle McPherson like either! Our body is a product of that which we think, feel, eat and do consistently, nothing more and nothing less.
In our desperation to get the body of our dreams which, basically translates to looking as youthful and as slim as possible, we do tend to over complicate our approach to all things weight, beauty and nutrition. We forget that even though our body is highly complex and super intelligent, it is of nature, and like everything else in the natural world there is rhyme, reason and a pattern that is actually very simple.
There is beauty in simplicity and often the most powerful things that we can do for our health are those things that are so blindingly obvious that we just cant believe that it could be that simple!
We overlook the basics in favour of the complex. Instead of just practising chewing our food well to ease digestion and lighten our stomach, we micro analyse and manage every single mouthful of our food…is it paleo, is it vegan, yes? Oh, but is it raw? And if its after 4pm then you cant do raw!
Now, you know I like a few guidelines around eating times and what kinds of foods to eat when, but this is really the cherry on the cake kinda stuff which really will not help your body unless you are getting the basics right. And, the truth is, get the basics down and you will not have to put half as much effort as you think into getting the body you really want. There are too many of us agonising over wheat free, gluten free and dairy free and not drinking enough water!
Are you with me? So, here are my favourite 8 BeUtiful basics to BeUtify your body, get these going consistently and you will find your body begins to co-operate and feel amazing in the process!
- Breathe! If you are not breathing quality breaths, feeding your body with vital life force and oxygen, nothing, and I mean nothing, in your body can function optimally! Under these circumstances your body becomes stressed, tense, anxious and acidic, creating heaviness, poor digestion, foggy mind, toxicity and stagnation, none of this is going to help you feel light and beautiful. You must learn to consciously breathe long deep breaths.
- Drink! Second after oxygen, water is essential for life. If you are not giving your body enough water you are literally starving it of the major life giving ingredient. Your body will feel heavy, gain weight easily, exhaustion, unbalanced hormones, toxicity, poor digestion and much more. It literally is no good worrying about anything else in your nutrition and fitness if you do not breathe properly and drink plenty of water. Life giving, beautifying basics!
- Move! Lightness always comes from flow and if we don’t move our body it too becomes stagnant and then energy gets trapped and our organs begin to feel enclosed. You don’t have to get your running shoes on, just walking will do wonders for your health. I walk 5km four to five times per week and the rest is yoga for me, this is pretty much all I do.
- Exfoliate! One of the most revolutionary things I discovered for the tone and appearance of my body, whilst it also does wonders for detoxifying your body and aura, and moisturises and gets the lymphatic system going is full body exfoliation, twice weekly, with sea salt and olive oil. Make this yourself at home and exfoliate your entire body in circular motions and then shower off. Your skin will look and feel amazing whilst you have boosted your lymphatic system and got everything moving!
- Chew! If you do not chew your food your body cannot digest it properly and this will expand your waist line, regardless of what you are eating. Make sure it is liquid before swallowing and you will really help ease any digestive complaints and feel lighter fast.
- Routine! Your body, just like everything in nature, thrives on routine and consistency. It makes it feel safe and so it relaxes, in this relaxed state everything functions efficiently and thrives, your body doesn’t hoard everything in sight in fear of impending doom because it has come to understand that you will nourish and nurture on a daily basis. Try to eat at regular intervals, creating your own routine of eating and sleeping that you can repeat daily.
- Sleep! Your body heals, repairs, cleanses and regenerates whilst sleeping, fact is if you’re not getting any then your body will not be happy and no amount of superfoods or anti wrinkle creams will make up for its loss. They don’t call it beauty sleep for no reason. Try to be consistent with your bed time to help your body relax and aim for at least 6 hours, I love 8!
- LOVE! Love conquers all, this is the most important and powerful beautifying ingredient in your daily routine. Self love, you must learn how to be kind to yourself, think loving thoughts about your body and treat yourself with love. No amount of the 1 – 7 will make up for lack of self love, it literally is the magic ingredient that illuminates your inner beauty and allows you to shine radiantly. Love is the way, love is light, LOVE your body beautiful!